MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials who have attracted much attention recently, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and possess shown broad application prospects in numerous fields. This is an in depth introduction to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
Precisely What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is really a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material comprising M, A, X elements around the periodic table, collectively known as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, including titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the main group elements, such as aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer consists of M, A, X, three of the components of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of the electrical conductivity of metal and strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, these are widely used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding and other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is actually a new form of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with all the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, composed of three elements with the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers back to the transition metal, A means the main-group elements, and X refers to the components of C and/or N. The MXene material is a graphene-like structure obtained through the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MXenes material are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials composed of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the excellent physical properties of MAX materials get them to have an array of applications in structural materials. As an example, Ti3SiC2 is a kind of MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which may be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials are also utilized in functional materials. For instance, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and can be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Additionally, some MAX materials also provide better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be utilized in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which may be used in energy materials. For instance, K4(MP4)(P4) is one of the MAX materials with higher ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used as a raw material to manufacture solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What Exactly are MXene materials?
MXene materials certainly are a new form of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, just like the structure of graphene. The surface of MXene materials can communicate with more functional atoms and molecules, along with a high specific area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation ways of MXene materials usually include the etching therapy for the MAX phase and also the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties such as electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics could be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials certainly are a new form of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials consisting of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, like high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., along with good chemical stability and the opportunity to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Uses of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and therefore are commonly used in energy storage and conversion. For example, MXene materials can be used electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Furthermore, MXene materials could also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to improve the action and stability in the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be utilized in electromagnetic protection. As an example, MXene materials bring electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, and other applications in electronic products and personal protection, boosting the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and can be used in sensing and detection. As an example, MXene materials can be used gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which could realize high sensitivity and high selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials can also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics and other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Later on, with all the continuous progress of science and technology and also the increasing demand for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application areas of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved. The subsequent aspects may become the main focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Later on, new preparation technologies and techniques could be further explored to comprehend a far more efficient, energy-saving and eco-friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is definitely high, but there is still room for additional optimization. Down the road, the composition, structure, surface treatment along with other aspects of the fabric may be studied and improved comprehensive to boost the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials happen to be popular in numerous fields, but there are still many potential application areas to become explored. In the future, they can be further expanded, such as in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection as well as other fields.
To conclude, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show an extensive application prospect in numerous fields. With all the continuous progress of science and technology and the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.